Monday, January 12, 2009

Working in a series

I tend to design with one idea. When I was asked to design a kimono and matching fan to be handpainted, when I finished the floral design all of a sudden I thought what if I did a collection. So then came the Japanese boat withing the kimono, seasons, and then came a mountain stream and so on.

I never set out to have a series but it ended up that way. When I created a burgundy pillow with matching christmas stocking and ornaments all of a sudden I began to explore what it would look like if the accents became the main color and the main color became the accents.

The series came about because of the design rather than thinking I was creating a series. I think I would feel too much pressure to create a continuing series and feel trapped or like I had failed if it didn't work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive